Monday, July 18, 2011

A Kid's Eye View of Water Works Theatre

Contributed By KidsAct! Student Jarod Clark

“I love Shakespeare in the Park; it is the best thing in the world.” I have said this on multiple occasions over the many summers I’ve been involved with Water Works. One of my favorite parts of Shakespeare in the Park is KidsAct!

KidsAct! (and Water Works Academy) are acting camps for grades 1-12. All of the teachers make it the best acting opportunity that you’ve had and probably will have. You learn three acting talents along with dance, sword fighting, improvisation, and Shakespeare.

My name is Jarod Clark. I’ve been in KidsAct! for five summers. Two years ago I even had the chance to perform in the main production. I was the first child actor for Water Works when I was cast in Macbeth, Water Works Professional play, last year. I worked in 3 fight scenes and even had a big death scene. It was cool … though my mom thought it really weird that she had to watch my death all those performances.

But now, more about KidsAct! ….
In dance, our awesome teacher, Frannie – who was also the director of the Commedia del’arte production last year -- choreographs the greatest dances and puts great music to them. Like last year we danced to Michael Jackson, and this past year she topped it off with a routine to Lady GaGa’s “Telephone.” Can I tell you that this was one cool dance?

In sword fighting and Shakespeare our awesome and favorite teacher Thomas comes all the way from New York City to work in KidsAct! My friends and I are all psyched that Thomas is coming back this year. In Shakespeare, he teaches us how to speak the words in Shakespeare. And what the particular scene means and how we should portray it.

In Improvisation (aka “Improv”) our teacher Kinicki plays games to keep our energy flowing through our bodies. We play fun games that show we know how to make up stuff up on the spot. Sometimes it’s really funny.

KidsAct! teaches great stuff. And it’s really fun to be part of each summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment