Wednesday, July 13, 2011

KidsAct! … Offering More Than Just a Week at Camp


Contributed by KidsAct! Parent Jenni Clark


Five years ago, I dropped my son off at KidsAct! for the very first time. A week at “camp” in a park where he would learn sword-fighting and meet other kids who liked theatre … that was a nice idea. A week without him wandering around the house that didn’t “break the bank” – even better. I didn’t expect more than that.

The first day I picked him up, he was excited. He was quoting Shakespeare, learning improvisation, discovering the first steps of swordplay. He was hooked. And I was thrilled. The next year he played Romeo in the Balcony Scene of Romeo & Juliet. The next summer there was a Swordfight from Macbeth – and an actual chance for him to PERFORM in the show. Year Four … another swordfight, improv and a cool dance to a Lady Ga Ga tune. Now it’s not me asking Jarod if he’d like to go to KidsAct!… it’s Jarod asking me when it starts!

Last summer, Jarod said to me … “Shakespeare in the Park is the coolest thing in the world.” It’s so much more than just “a week at camp” for him now. It’s transferred from the Park to the “real world.” It’s given him the skills he needs to speak in public. It’s given him confidence and the ability to stand up in front of adults and talk. And they listen!

This March, Jarod did a speech for English and was selected to represent Royal Oak Middle School in the Optimist Club speech competition. And he developed the confidence and speaking skills during those weeks were I dropped him off at “camp.”

For us, KidsAct! is more than a week at camp. Sure it’s Fun, but kids like Jarod can take the things they learn out of the park and achieve amazing things at school. I have to agree with Jarod. Shakespeare in the Park is the coolest thing in the world. As a mom, I see the pay-off in my kid’s eyes. And on his Report Card too!

No comments:

Post a Comment